Re: inode consumption

Steve Dodd (dirk@loth.demon.co.uk)
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 16:24:49 +0000

On Sat, Feb 13, 1999 at 09:44:55PM -0500, Mike Goldman wrote:

> /proc/sys. Subsequently, I observed the file-nr and saw no real problem
> here (reports 1706 192 8192), probably I can safely drop this back to
> the default 4096. However, the inode-state shows 27062 18 1 0 0 0 0,
> which seems high. I've now bumped the inode-max up to 32768.
> Hopefully, this should prevent a recurrence.

inode-max IIRC is just the cache size -- if you /really/ have more referenced
inodes (+dirty?) than inode-max, the system lets you exceed the limit. The
gotcha, of course, is that the memory for inodes never shrinks -- inodes get
reused, but not freed.

However, there is a bug in the inode caching stuff in 2.2.1. It is fixed in
2.2.2-pre2 (which is in the testing dir on the linux kernel mirrors).

Cheers,
Steve