Re: Repeatable 2.2.1 freeze

Andi Kleen (ak@muc.de)
14 Feb 1999 09:39:46 +0100

In article <m3u2wpkijz.fsf@Rivendell.spaceballs.no>,
andrej@ifi.uio.no, writes:
> I've discovered a repeatable kernel freeze in v2.2.1. When the freeze
> occurs, switching between VCs is possible, but no commands can be
> run. The scroll-lock keycombos does work.
> When running in X, the screen gets garbled.

> The freeze happens when I tried to run cdparanoia on a CD-ROM that
> seems to lack CDDA capabilities. It's an old SCSI drive, connected to
> a AHA1542CF ISA adapter (BIOS v2.10).

2.2.0 changed the semaphores to being recursive. This broke the new
style SCSI error handling. So far the 1542 driver is the only driver
that uses it, so won't see it with other SCSI controllers. 2.2.2
probably will contain a fix - I hope it will just revert the semaphores
change because it is not needed anymore.

-Andi