Re: Weird tcp performance differences with 2.0 and 2.2 kernels

Miquel van Smoorenburg (miquels@cistron.nl)
14 Feb 1999 00:22:18 +0100

In article <cistron.m3n22i9md3.fsf@muc.de>, Andi Kleen <ak@muc.de> wrote:
>So far nobody has shown that there is any bug in the VJ compression
>on the Linux side. It would very likely not only hurt ISDN sync ppp,
>but async PPP too (they share the same vj compression routines), and if
>that was broken we would see tons of reports (which we don't). I
>would say that it is much more likely that the other end is to blame,
>until proven otherwise.

I have tested both async PPP and ISDN, and the problem only shows up
when using ISDN. async PPP with a 33k6 modem runs A-OK. All configs
are otherwise the same, same ISP etc.

I only have problems with ISDN, and can fix them by either turning
off VJ or TCP timestamps. Async PPP has no such problem.

Mike.

--
Indifference will certainly be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?