Re: Weird tcp performance differences with 2.0 and 2.2 kernels

Andi Kleen (ak@muc.de)
13 Feb 1999 19:42:16 +0100

In article <7a49p8$hrd$1@Q.cistron.nl>,
miquels@cistron.nl (Miquel van Smoorenburg) writes:
> In article <cistron.Pine.LNX.4.02A.9902131523440.3838-100000@mikeg.weiden.de>,
> Mike Galbraith <mikeg@weiden.de> wrote:
> [performance problem with TCP timestamps]
>> ok..
>>
>> Anyone see exactly this problem on a _non_ isdn connection?

> Aha. There is a bug in the ISDN code - something goes wrong when
> TCP timestamps are enabled in the TCP layer and VJ compression is
> enabled in the ISDN layer. There has been a thread on this list
> about it a week ago.

So far nobody has shown that there is any bug in the VJ compression
on the Linux side. It would very likely not only hurt ISDN sync ppp,
but async PPP too (they share the same vj compression routines), and if
that was broken we would see tons of reports (which we don't). I
would say that it is much more likely that the other end is to blame,
until proven otherwise.

-Andi

--
This is like TV. I don't like TV.