Re: fsync on large files

David Feuer (david@feuer.his.com)
Sat, 13 Feb 1999 11:32:40 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 13 Feb 1999, Billy Harvey wrote:

> > > But syslogd
> > > syncs every line written for a good reason, namely that if the machine
> > > crashes you don't want to lose the last few lines that were logged.
> >
> > There's a fair chance you'll lose the lines you're really interested in if
> > you crash anyway - as you've noticed, syncing is a sometimes an intensive
> > operation. A _real_ fix, which also deals with log security issues nicely,
> > is to log across a serial port to a secure (possibly non-networked) host.
>
> Why not modify the log rotation scripts to run on an hourly basis, and
> throw away those older than <insert preference here>? This should be
> fairly painless, and a quick fix.
>
> Billy
> --
> info@RhinoEngineering.com

What does log rotation have to do with syncing?
If I were really concerned about logs, I'd log to a printer ;).

This message has been brought to you by the letter alpha and the number pi.

David Feuer
dfeuer@his.com
dfeuer@binx.mbhs.edu
Open Source: Think locally; act globally.
Check out humbolt.geo.uu.nl/lists for the new mailing lists by Rik van Riel