Re: rmdir of one's pwd (was Re: rmdir of a busy directory)

Tom Eastep (eastep@loc1.tandem.com)
Sat, 13 Feb 1999 04:18:18 +0000

--------------CD76D5D5FAE2A246B590C8A1

Andreas Schwab wrote:

> Ralf Corsepius <corsepiu@faw.uni-ulm.de> writes:

> |> I don't know about a formal standard, either.
>
> >From SUS2:
>
> "If the directory is the root directory or the current working directory
> of any process, it is unspecified whether the function succeeds, or
> whether it fails and sets errno to [EBUSY]."
>
> Btw, they don't talk about EINVAL.

The stuff about EINVAL was in P1003.1a (Circa 1995):

5.5.2.4 Remove a Directry -- Errors (POSIX.1 Line 538) Add new errors
and descriptions following [EEXIST] or [ENOTEMPTY]

[EINVAL] The _path_ argument contains a last component that is dot
or dot-dot.

I don't know if this was ever formally adopted. Last I knew, it was
still just a draft (I have the D12 version)...

-Tom

--
Tom Eastep
Compaq Computer Corporation