Re: fb with S3 Verge

Brian Gerst (bgerst@quark.vpplus.com)
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 07:57:14 -0500

Keith Duthie wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Feb 1999 sinbuxs@typeb.sita.int wrote:
>
> > Do any one know how to configure framebuffer with S3 Verge
> > video card, I have compiled the kernel (2.2.1) with framebuffer
> > and vesa enabled. I do have manually created /dev/fb as mentioned
> > in frambuffer kernel document.
> I believe the problem is that the S3 Virge is VESA 1.2 compliant, but not
> VESA 2.0 compliant. (Although I'm probably wrong. If I am wrong, then I'm
> interested in the real reason, as I have an S3 Virge as well)

That depends on the BIOS more than the chipset. When I had a Virge, I
had to load a DOS TSR to get VBE2.0 compatability. This could work with
Linux as well, using loadlin. The only thing that doesn't work is the
limited protected mode functionality of VBE2.0, since the TSR is
overwritten after bootup.

--

Brian Gerst