Re: strange behavior on loopback-devices 2.0.x - 2.2.x

Nimrod Zimerman (zimerman@deskmail.com)
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 14:24:15 +0200

On Fri, Feb 12, 1999 at 03:42:42AM +0100, Kai Bankett wrote:

> I've noticed a stange behaviour on loopback-devices ...
> If I use tcpump on the interface lo each packet is shown twice to me (2
> x incoming, 2 x outgoing). Maybe this is an unwanted behaviour ?!? (I
> didn't find anything about this behaviour in any documentation about
> loopback-devices)

I always found it pretty reasonable that the loopback device does
everything twice - after all, it shows both what it sends and what
it receives (being loopback) - so any packet you send should end up
showing once as being sent, and once as being received. And both would look
exactly the same in the logs.

I've been using a little awk script to get rid of the doubled lines when
I needed to, by the way.

What I'm curious about is which version of tcpdump you are using. As far as
I know, stock tcpdump versions can't log the loopback device at all, due to
a bug in the libpcap library.

Nimrod