Re: rmdir of a busy directory

Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 06:04:18 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> This might also be consequence of the same problem:
>
> mkdir <somedir>
> cd <somedir>
> rmdir .
>
> Under all OSes I tried, the rmdir . command above returns an error. On linux >
> 2.1.124 (the version I first noticed to be affected) this silently succeeds.

You never tried 4.4BSD, right?

> BTW, this behaviour breaks building egcs/gcc/fixincludes for cross-compilers
> under linux, because fixincludes (egcs-1.1b and egcs-1.1.1) contain a fragment
> which rely on "rmdir ." failing.

Then egcs/gcc is broken. Period. POSIX doesn't mandate failure on
such operation. All *BSD do the same as Linux. And this behaviour is
consistent with unlink(). Notice that it may be even fs-dependent. Out of
curiosity - how does this fragment look like?

Final word belongs Linus, indeed, but IMO reverting to -EBUSY on
rmdir() is *wrong*.