Re: 2.2.1 problems with VIA-Rhine and NFS

Olivier Tharan (olive@laria.u-picardie.fr)
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 09:49:33 +0100

On Thu, Feb 11, 1999 at 10:37:00PM +0100, Hans-Joachim Baader wrote:
> I just had to reboot one of my boxes because of the following error:
>
> Feb 11 22:09:07 mandel kernel: eth0: Something Wicked happened! 001a.
> Feb 11 22:10:42 mandel kernel: eth0: Transmit timed out, status 0000, PHY status
> 782d, resetting...
>
> The last message was repeated endlessly. I always had the impression that
> the VIA-Rhine driver was very alpha :-(

Same problem here, same PHY status, on various kernels ranging from 2.0.36 to
2.2.1. I have another error message:

Feb 8 16:14:15 rigel kernel: eth0: Something Wicked happened! 2008.

which relates to an intr_status of (IntrTxAborted | IntrTxAbort)

This has the effect of stopping all networking on this interface. I can
trigger it in two minutes by doing a bulk transfer over NFS. Works also with
rcp, did not try FTP.

One workaround for the moment is to build the Via-Rhine driver as a module,
and launch a small shell script to test if the network is up (simple ping :),
down the eth interface, unload the module and relaunch the interface. Worked
for me, I can provide the script if needed.

We should perhaps talk to Don Becker and on the netdev- list where we can
perhaps help in debugging the driver.

olive

--
		Olivier Tharan, <olive@laria.u-picardie.fr>