Re: interest in performance instrumentation

Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 11:38:07 +1100

Chuck Lever writes:
> is there a list or group working on standardizing Linux performance
> instrumentation and what tools are included with common Linux
> distributions? for instance, is anyone working on "sar" or "iostat"
> for Linux?

What do these tools do? Are you referring to measuring CPU performance
(cache misses, TLB refills and so on) or something else? My MSR patch
includes a thin driver for performance monitoring:
http://www.atnf.csiro.au/~rgooch/linux/

and is supported by a userspace library to yield easy access. The idea
is that you can then build glitzy tools on top of the library.

Regards,

Richard....