[OFFTOPIC] Re: [SPAM] The New Bible of Dating!! (x11) (fwd)

B. James Phillippe (bryan@terran.org)
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 13:00:05 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Kev wrote:

> > WTF is this?
> > Anyone else get this message? It was posted to linux-hppa@vger
> > to which I am not subscribed. I'm assuming they sent it to
> > several vger lists, and possibly l-k too.
>
> I've gotten several copies of it. It originated from a block of
> addresses which seem to belong to UUNET...I don't have high hopes
> of them doing anything about it, but maybe they'll suprise me...
> or maybe MicroSloth will sue them :)

This is correct. They are originating from dialup banks at uu.net. And
correct again, UUNet has no interest in taking action (eg. blocking port 25
TCP outgoing at the router from dialup banks). A workaround that I propose
for anyone who wishes to cut down on their UCE, is to block email from
dialup uu.net subdomains: block all mail originating from .da.uu.net. You
will still be able to receive email from legitimate UUNet customers, as
they do not send email directly from their currently dialed system.
Unfortunately, little can be done when the mail is laundered through some
other brainless middle-man system, such as MSD in these cases.

cheers,
-bp

--
B. James Phillippe		. bryan@terran.org