Re: Changes to interface from 2.0 to 2.2

Jens Axboe (axboe@image.dk)
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 19:03:01 +0100

Sean M Hollingsworth wrote:
> #define MODULE
> #include <linux/module.h>
>
> int init_module(void)
> {
> printk("<1>Hello, world\n");
> return 0;
> }
>
> void cleanup_module(void)
> {
> printk("<1>Goodbye cruel world\n");
> }
>
> Now if I compile this and insmod it on a machine running a 2.0.x kernel
> it does what it is supposed to do. If I insmod it on a machine running
> 2.2.1, I get an "unresolved symbol printk" error. I know many things

You most likely have CONFIG_MODVERSIONS in the 2.2 kernel. Either
recompile without that option or compile all you modules you make with
-DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux/include/linux/modversions.h.

--
*  Jens Axboe <axboe@image.dk>
*  Linux CD-ROM Maintainer