Re: rm a_large_file takes too long under linux-2.2.1 (also unSTOPable)

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@e-mind.com)
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 18:45:02 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Matti Aarnio wrote:

> files to be deleted to be fairly small, one can guess that
> a limit around 10-20 deleter threads would be all what the
> doctor ordered. If the limit is exceeded, deleter blocks
> until the count comes down again (and then starts a new
> thread, and increments the count..)

I don't like this. That's not the point for performances. If you need to
delete an huge tree but you don't care about the deletion speed you don't
want to fork (wasting CPU) because you want to preserve CPU (and some task
slot) for all other other CPU bound processes running in background.

If instead your app care about deletion, userspace threading can solve the
issue equally efficient using an ad-hoc thread. If this will be a common
issue we can develop a 1kbyte libunlink.

Andrea Arcangeli