Re: [patch] real fix [Re: [patch] fixed 2.2.1 inode-leakage due bogus design of the free_inodes algo

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@e-mind.com)
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 10:35:32 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, Alexander Viro wrote:

>resonable place being ->clear_inode() method. And it's called by
>fs/inode.c::clear_inode(). Called by fs/inode.c::dispose_list(). Called
>by fs/inode.c::free_inodes(). Called by fs/inode.c::free_inode_memory().
>See the path now?

Yes thanks ;)

> Again, it doesn't free inode memory per se. But for some inodes it
>informs filesystems that they should free their internal data associated
>with said inodes.

I think we should consider such memory as statically allocated and
decrease inode-max if we are worried by the too much memory used for inode
purposes. The inode pool act as fixed-size cache so the right reason for
shrink it is to generate new inodes not to free memory. If you have low
memory better that you use a smaller inode pool in first place.

Andrea Arcangeli