Re: kernel 2.2.1 crash with dual P2

Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 16:21:37 +1100

Roland Schwarz writes:
> Hi !
>
> I still have my probs with kernel 2.2.1 on a dual P2 system .=20
>
> I have followed some articles about kernel crashes because of probs with
> ide and the dma access .=20
>
> A suggestion was to disable the dma access mode in the kernel .=20
>
> I did this . No effect .=20
> The system crashed while scrolling in kedit .=20
>
> So I disabled some other settings . Like the mtrr setting .=20
> The documentation about mtrr is not very informative , but it said that
> the mtrr can improve acces to agp port and can solve some problems with
> the smp mode (settings) [ it said that some bios version do not proper
> set up both cpu=B4s , so i thought this could be a helping option ]

Are you saying that you enabled or disabled CONFIG_MTRR? You should
always enable it on SMP systems, otherwise you can get machine lockups
or crashes. Some BIOSes are buggy, and setting CONFIG_MTRR=y means
that Linux fixes the problem.

The MTRR stuff can also be used to improve graphics performance, but
that's not really intended to be something the user worries about. The
intention is that your X server or kernel graphics driver sets this up
for you.

Regards,

Richard....