Re: clone, signal and pids

David Wragg (dpw@doc.ic.ac.uk)
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 01:13:14 GMT

Luis Irun <lirun@iti.upv.es> writes:
From: David Wragg <dpw@sytry.doc.ic.ac.uk>
Date: 11 Feb 1999 01:13:14 +0000

> The matter is: I don't agree the
> signal behaviour for clones sharing its pid's.

The impression I've got from the code is that CLONE_PID isn't supposed
to have any particular semantics, as long as it doesn't expose
security holes (which it diesn't seem to). I assume sensible semantics
were supposed to be implemented at a later date, but no-one has got
round to it. The obvious user-space semantics are those for POSIX
thread signals, but it isn't quite so obvious which kernel additions
would be most useful for a low-overhead user-space implementation.

> [snip]
> I think the wrong step is allowing the clones to share its pid's.

I suspect no-one has actually made real-world use of CLONE_PID from
user-space. It is however used inside the kernel (creating the idle
task for each processor on SMP, which should all have the same pid of
0).

Dave Wragg