[OFFTOPIC] Filesystem support for capabilities

Santos Halpar (sjhalpar@yahoo.com)
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 14:17:35 -0800 (PST)

Stephen Tweedie <sct@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Feb 1999 13:31:14 +0100 (CET), MOLNAR Ingo
> <mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu> said:
[SNIP]
>> together with all the other upcoming 2.3 features (ACLs, trees,
>> compression, etc.) it will be significantly different from
>> 'classic' ext2fs

Probably off-topic for linux-raid, so I'm moving it over to
linux-kernel,(is there an ext2 mailing list?) but I've seen
Stephen talking about ACLs a few times recently -- what's the
status of getting ext2 support for capabilities in the early
2.3.x series? Is this going to be done in the ACL patches[1],
or is there plan to do it at a higher level (VFS)? I would
dearly love to see filesystem support for capabilities and am
willing to put some effort in to doing it -- my C skills are
quite good, but kernel hacking is still a new area. If anyone
has ideas for what abstraction layer this should go at I'm
willing to take a stab at doing it -- all hints will be
gratefully accepted. Presumably if it's not done in ACLs then
there will have to be some sort of representation for forced
capability bits added elsewhere.

Background: I'm developing some security daemons including
key-management facilities. I don't like making a daemon setuid
just so it can mlock private keys in memory. (Aside: is there a
standard place to upload US-developed crypto so I can distribute
it at least in the States without violating EAR/ITAR?)

I read linux-kernel on Web archives, so expect a 24+ hour
turnaround if you don't CC me.

G. Sumner Hayes
sjhalpar@yahoo.com <-- Address good until 31 April 1999

[1] http://aerobee.informatik.uni-bremen.de/acl_eng.html