Re: Real Time scheduler?

Trond Myklebust (david@sparks.net)
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 15:50:07 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 8 Feb 1999, Roman Drahtmueller wrote:

> > Are there any patches available to incorporate a poor-mans real time
> > function into the scheduler. FreeBSD's "rtprio" is what I'm thinking of.
> > Basically it runs all "real time" processes in time shared fashion before
> > running any "non real time" processes.
>
> Use something like this:
>
> /*
> * resched (Roman Drahtmueller <draht@uni-freiburg.de>
> *
> * delivers a process to another scheduling class policy.

Hmm.... This looks promising.

One issue I'll have is that the time critical parts of the project will be
IO dependent at least as much as CPU.

Does this "scheduling class policy" allow for making sure that IO
associated with "real time" processes will be scheduled before the other
processes? Specifically, I'm feeding one or more mpeg-2 decoders and want
to make sure they don't ever stall even if one is performing a dozen find
commands, loading mpeg files from multiple removable drives, backing up,
and copying files recursively amongst many directories:)

Thanks, this list is great!

--- David