Re: Tuning for a Specific Purpose

Riccardo Facchetti (fizban@tin.it)
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 21:32:19 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, Shackelford, Alan wrote:

> expensive RS6000/AIX machines with Intel Linux. The machine is:
> Intel Pentium II 350 MHz.
> 128 MB SDRAM
> 1 8GB IDE HD
> 1 4GB IDE HD
> Aha2940UW SCSI Card
> 1 9GB Seagate Wide SCSI Drive
> most improtantly, Linux 2.2.1 kernel on a Slackware 3.6 base

[...]

> I realize I have to improve the disk situation, but can you recommend any
> specific things to tweak in the kernel that might push this box just a tad
> faster?

Maybe RAID0 the three disks ... make 3 partitions of 4GB and make a
12 GB RAID0. You will sum up the speed of all the three disks (not really
sum exactly but you should find a speed around 18 - 20 MB/s on the RAID0
if you sum 7 MB/s for the IDE * 2 + 7 for the SCSI).

That's not bad for a database disk subsystem: 12 GB at 20 MB/s

For security of data you can even make a series of 4 or 5 equally big
RAID0 partitions and then RAID5 all them up so you gain the speed of RAID0
and the security of RAID5.

Kernel is alredy capable of doing RAID 0/1/4/5.

The improvements on disk performance and/or security are guaranteed.

Ciao,
Riccardo.