Re: Weird tcp performance differences with 2.0 and 2.2 kernels

Harvey J. Stein (hjstein@bfr.co.il)
10 Feb 1999 11:50:07 +0200

"Mark R. Boyns" <boyns@contigo.com> writes:

> We're trying to figure out some weird performance differences between
> 2.0.x / 2.2.x kernels and the interface being used.

I noticed some weird behavior last night. I was dialed into the
office from home. I was uploading some files via ftp. The modem send
light started off blinking rapidly (basically flickering) indicating
high traffic. Then it suddenly backed off, maybe sending about 1
packet/second. It stayed like this for maybe 30-60 seconds & then
sped up again, but not to as fast as it was initially. Final
throughput was a little on the low side.

Details:
I'm running 2.2.0pre9 at home. I was dialed into the office via pppd,
connecting to a linux box running a 2.0.3x kernel. I was uploading
to another linux box (2.0.29 kernel), which is on the same ethernet as
the box hosting the modems.

--
Harvey J. Stein
BFM Financial Research