Re: Slow PPP with 2.2.1 -- FIXED, but I have a question

Ben Aitchison (theone@ihug.co.nz)
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 03:14:29 +0000

On Tue, Feb 09, 1999 at 06:20:14PM -0500, Tom Sightler wrote:
> Well after all the testing I did I began going throught the 2.1.102 patch
> one section at a time, I backed out the irq.c changes, I lokked hard at the
> ipchains stuff and concluded that since I wasn't compiling with
> CONFIG_IP_FIREWALL that these couldn't be causing the problem, the
> scheduling updates were almost all text comments, so only one other file of
> any consequence was updated, the ibmmca.c driver for my PS/2 SCSI
> controller.
>
> The update was the switch from cli/sti to the save_flags/restore_flags.
> Almost (maybe even all) of the scsi drivers were updated with this change in
> the 2.1.102 patch. Interestingly backing this patch out made my ppp
> problems go away. I went ahead and did the same to the 2.2.1 tree,
> recompile and my P70 is streaming along again, PPP works great not, no FRAME
> errors reported anymore, everything is as it should be.

I had problems with using a Future Domain TMC-950 (pathetic 8 bit card) scsi adapter, using seagate.c until I modified it -- it was giving HUGE interrupt latency. That is, I'd loose characters at 2400 bps, with a 16550 uart. My problem is, that I don't know if I fixed it properly. But I have been using the changes without problems for quite a while. (I can't actually remember what I chanaged, though) The seagate driver was broken, before 2.1.110 or so... so I was using 2.0.35 (i think?) until it was fixed... 2.0.x and 2.2.x are behaving the same, now.

Now, I'm wondering, is it just the slow cards that have problems?