Re: The kernal itself is low level assembly language

Michael Loftis (zop12@mindless.com)
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 19:26:44 -0700 (MST)

On 10 Feb 1999 01:54:01 GMT
torvalds@transmeta.com (Linus Torvalds) wrote:

> In article <36C0DB78.4F0031A9@pobox.com>, Mark Lord
> <mlord@pobox.com> wrote:

> >From this evening's chat session at msnbc:

> >>[Chris_MSNBC says]:

> >> <Eric Murray>: what programming laungauge is used in linux, is it
> all C

> >> code? What do you think of Java, and will any launguage replace C
> as

> >> the dominant language

> >>[Linus_Torvalds- says:]

> >> The kernal itself is low level assembly language....it's just how
> things

> >> are done.

> Oh egads.

> I wasn't actually typing - the company firewall makes that
> impossible,

> and I don't like irc anyway, so I was actually on the phone to
> people

> and they transcribed.

> Is there a transcript anywhere, just so that I can check?

Love it when they mis-quote or mis-type you? I think something along
the lines of the heart is assembly would be more accurate than what
those dopes put down. IAE the 'glue' of the kernel is the low-level
assembler but the brains hasta be the C :)

Anyway, I'm braindead.

- --
Michael Loftis

Paladin IMAP4 Email. Available from: http://www.paladincorp.com.au/