Re: ARP - hardware type 6 / rfc1042

Steven Roberts (strobert@ata-sd.com)
Tue, 09 Feb 1999 14:07:53 -0800

Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> In article <79nnva$chd$1@osiris.storner.dk> you wrote:
> > When I was running a pure token-ring setup (until end of last year),
> > Linux handled type 6 arp's just fine. Looking at linux/net/ipv4/arp.c
> > it still seems as if it would handle it OK (look for ARPHRD_IEEE802).
>
> Yes, but it will only answer/accept request with the ARP-TYPE matching the
> hardware type of the interface.

Which looks correct from RFC 1042 (could be wrong, only did the quick
15-minute
review so I may have missed something).

if you are speaking both ether and token ring over the same wire, then
it is up to the guy who is speaking both to make sure the media type
field is kept track of.

Now if the linux box is configed to be looking at both and isn't
accepting, then it's a linux bug, but I don't think that was the
situation in this case.

Regards,
Steve