Re: Fw: Linux 2.0/2.1/2.2 -- Anyway to avoid different binaries??

Andi Kleen (ak@muc.de)
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 19:47:56 +0100

On Tue, Feb 09, 1999 at 07:12:16PM +0100, Ted Lemon wrote:

> > Fixes for LPF are already done, they just have not been merged yet (I
> > expect them not in 2.2.2, but in 2.2.3-5 time frame)
>
> That'll do. Some documentation would be nice, BTW - I pretty much
> had to feel my way around Brian's contributions to figure out how they
> worked, and then grovel through the Linux kernel source to figure out
> some things he'd done in out-of-date ways. I don't know if I got it
> right by doing that, either. Sigh.

I am working on updated networking manpages for Linux 2.2. LPF is not
covered (yet?) though, but a lot of other things are already. Snapshots
(not finished yet and probably with some bugs) are available from
ftp.muc.de:/people/ak/netman*. Comments are welcome of course, it is still
work in process.

I am not sure if I should document LPF at all - people will usually
use it through the libbpf library and that is already well documented
(and the Linux extension like arbitary per socket filters are straight forward)
One problem is that the standard VJ BPF bytecodes don't support variable
length headers well, which makes them pretty much useless for IPv6 and
most other modern protocols - I hope any necessarry any changes Linux will
make here will appear in the LBL reference BPF implementation.

-Andi

--
This is like TV. I don't like TV.