Re: Fw: Linux 2.0/2.1/2.2 -- Anyway to avoid different binaries??

Andi Kleen (ak@muc.de)
09 Feb 1999 17:36:02 +0100

In article <199902082346.SAA04842@grosse.fugue.com>,
mellon@hoffman.vix.com (Ted Lemon) writes:

> On Linux, the SO_BINDTODEVICE socket option allows me to do this, and
> it's a *tremendous* win. Unfortunately, as of Linux 2.1, it's no
> longer usable. I'm hoping to have time to do an equivalent hack for
> NetBSD before the NetBSD 1.4 release, but even though I'm a NetBSD
> hacker, I still think it's sad that this fine Linux API has lost its
> value (it was added specifically to support DHCP) because the DHCP
> client forces me to use lpf.

SO_BINDTODEVICE has been near obsoleted in 2.2 again. IP_PKTINFO
(when set Linux passes a ip_pktinfo struct as ancillary data that contains
information about the packet, can be used for sending too) usually
offers a more elegant solution. SO_BINDTODEVICE is nasty because of its
security implications - some versions of linux had holes because of it.

> So I'd like to humbly suggest that they implement a perfect 0.0.0.0
> system like the ones in all the other free unices and all the
> commercial ones too.

I have nothing against 0.0.0.0 interfaces, but Alexey Kuznetsov is the
man in charge for the IP layer (he rewrote most of it for 2.2) and he has to
be convinced @)

-Andi

--
This is like TV. I don't like TV.