Re: IDE-SCSI Hard Crash

Andre M. Hedrick (hedrick@Astro.Dyer.Vanderbilt.Edu)
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 09:43:42 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 9 Feb 1999, Meelis Roos wrote:

> AMH> I assume that you disable DMA transfers on the ide-cd reader/writer?
> AMH> If you did not do this, it will generally cause buffer underruns during
> AMH> the burn process. Thus you end up with many pretty coasters or shiny
> AMH> skeet birds.
>
> Is this a bug in linux ide/ide-scsi implementation?

Nope,

This has been observed under WinXX and DOS on various chipsets.
The worst case is a cd-cd copy. The so called fast ide-cdroms spin up and
down and the delays with cause the buffer to underrun.

Cheers,
Andre Hedrick
The (NEW) Linux IDE guy

http://www.dyer.vanderbilt.edu/server/udma/

You just need a bigger hammer, or learn how to swing the one you have better.