Re: Teletext/VideoText on MIRO PCTV

Edgar Toernig (froese@gmx.de)
Tue, 09 Feb 1999 06:13:06 +0100

Hi,

Grégoire FAVRE wrote:
> first of all I apologize for posting here (I have tried many times
> to susbribe to video4linux (with email gregoire.favre@urbanet.ch)
> without success...).

Hint: The new v4l mailing list dumps mail _send_ by root to /dev/null.

> I have a Miro PCTV (Pro) and I was using bttv as module, but as from
> 2.2.1-ac4 it works in the kernel, I put it in the kernel (from dmesg):
>
> I can start xawtv, set the right channel, quit xawtv and alevt, and it works,
> not with all channels and very very slowly...

With the 2.2.1s bttv, you should start alevt with the -oldbttv option.
Without this option, you'll see the running headers but it's pure luck
to get a complete page. With that option, it should be as fast as your
normal TV and after a while (when the cache is filled) you should get
each page instantly.

> And if I don't quit xawtv, I got:alevt: # /dev/vbi: Device or resource busy

Hmm.. This is new. Either something was changed in the ac-patches or in
xawtv. But it's not so bad. There are occasional crashes/frequent hangs
if /dev/video and /dev/vbi are used at the same time.

> Does it mean that there is no need for the SAA5249 (and I am not sure to have
> one...) and that it's not possible to look at a channel while reading teletext
> (like under Windows...)?

I don't know, if the MIRO has a SAA5249, but every Bt8xx card can do
teletext. A real decoder chip may use less cpu-time, but it isn't
necessary.

Ciao, ET.