Re: ARP - hardware type 6 / rfc1042

storner@image.dk
8 Feb 1999 23:20:26 +0100

In <36BEF293.90E8BEDE@lrp.de> Volker Dormeyer <Volker.Dormeyer@lrp.de> writes:

[token-ring/ethernet problems]

>The linux box sends the arp request packet with hardware type 1 but
>the switch replies the packet with hardware type 6 in the arp packet.
>It seems that linux don't understand hardware type 6 - I'm not sure.

When I was running a pure token-ring setup (until end of last year),
Linux handled type 6 arp's just fine. Looking at linux/net/ipv4/arp.c
it still seems as if it would handle it OK (look for ARPHRD_IEEE802).

--
Henrik Storner     | "Software engineering is a race between engineers
<storner@image.dk> |  who try to create foolproof software and the