Re: kmod: waitpid(18072,NULL,0) failed, returning -512.

Steve Dodd (dirk@loth.demon.co.uk)
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 16:15:24 +0000

On Mon, Feb 08, 1999 at 04:56:26PM +0100, Lenart Gabor wrote:

> Feb 8 07:48:40 oxygene kernel: kmod: waitpid(18072,NULL,0) failed, returning
> -512.
>
> What does it mean exactly ? 2.2.1 up

I've seen this when I stuff up my kernel / modutils build, when I have UNIX
domain networking compiled as a module. I generally have to do Alt+SysRq+E
to see it though (things just hang on boot up, doing that causes the above
message). I also had MODVERSIONS turned on.

The problems I think I had was that I tried to build the kernel using my
old modutils/modules version of genksyms (from 2.0.x days); genksyms would
fail during make dep, but the make would continue okay. This left 0 length
files in /usr/src/linux/include/linux/modules; even after upgrading genksyms
I had to manually rm * in that directory before things would work..

I had a patch kicking around somewhere to detect if you were trying to build
with an old genksyms, but it seems it didn't make it into the kernel.

S.

--
There was a young man of St. John's
Who wanted to bugger the swans.