Re: Sound error: Couldn't allocate DMA buffer

Q (Q@ping.be)
Mon, 08 Feb 1999 21:00:04 +0100

Dan Hollis wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Feb 1999, Mark Lord wrote:
> > Ever since 2.1.131 (Dec.6/98), my UP systems sees a lot of these
> > (even withe 2.2.2-pre2 from the "test" directory):
> > Feb 5 22:08:08 foxy kernel: Sound error: Couldn't allocate DMA buffer
> > Feb 5 22:08:18 foxy last message repeated 7 times
>
> Means that low memory is too fragmented for the kernel to be able to
> allocate ISA DMA buffers. This is a problem that has been with the kernel
> since 1.1.x days...

I reported that same error a few days ago, I didn't have much free
memory, but I did have alot of cache. Other program could easely use
that memory.

I made some memory free by starting some program, and kill it, which did
not always work.

I sometimes can generate it, but not always.