Re: plus plus plus [was: PPP bug]

Marc SCHAEFER (schaefer@alphanet.ch)
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 16:11:42 +0100 (MET)

On Mon, 8 Feb 1999, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> >ATS2=255 or modem equivalent. Hangup only on DTR dropping.
>
> It isn't clear to me what you are trying to point out here. I

The mere principle of interpreting a binary flow in any way (be it
XON/XOFF or `+ + +') is bad.

For XON/XOFF, there is RTS/CTS. For hanging up, there is dropping
DTR (disable the sequence with ATS2=255 on most modems).

Some modems even support going into command mode if you drop DTR.

> was just stating that when I type "+++" on any modems around here
> with any terminal emulator running, I get an "OK" greeting from

Because your modem is misconfigured (some COULD exist that do not
supporting disabling it, however).