Re: VESA fb

Benjamin Close (linux@senet.com.au)
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 15:16:42 +1030 (CST)

On Sun, 7 Feb 1999, Dustin Marquess wrote:

> I have a Creative Labs Graphics Blaster TNT PCI card (using
> the nVidia Riva TNT chipset).
>
> If I enable the VESA framebuffer support in the 2.2.0 kernel,
> as soon as LILO boots the kernel, nothing else is outputted to my
> monitor, even though I can hear the system load...

<GRIN> Been there done that <GRIN>

It's not just the TNT it will happen to anycard if you do not do one of
the following:

1> Enable VGA text console - but this wont use the FB

2> Enable video mode selection, add vga=ask in lilo.conf and put in a mode
listed in Documentation/fb/vesa.txt when asked. - This does use the FB

Once you work out which mode you like change the vga=modenumber (check
this you may have to convert it to base 10 - decimal)

Cheers,
Benjamin