Re: What the h-ll.. [Was: Re: A module bug in 2.2.1?]

Bjorn Ekwall (bj0rn@blox.se)
Fri, 5 Feb 1999 11:08:25 +0100 (CET)

Marcin Dalecki (dalecki@cs.net.pl) wrote:
> You are just telling lies and insults.
>
> > I'll not bother to comment the rest of your post, since I'm angry enough already.
>
> Ah so you are the one responsible for the shit peace of design the whole
> system was before and still is in some wide areas...
> And you are the dilletantic C++ coder... Pitty Linus incuded the first
> module system at all. Now everybody is somehow forced
> to maintain "compatibility" with it.
>
> --Marcin

Dear, dear...

Yes, I'm responsible for the additions to the module support, from 1994 to
1996, based on the work of people like Bas Laarhoven and Jon Tombs. I didn't
do it all by myself, but worked in the open together with many skilled people,
Jacques Gelinas in particular. You'd be surprised how many extremely nice
people there are, out there. I suggest that you learn from them.

And yes, I'm still very proud of what was achieved. Especially the concept
of kerneld and its interaction with modprobe. Module "stacking" and symbol
versioning were good ones as well (and a pre-requisite for kerneld).

Someday I might write the history of Linux module support, from my point
of view. I think it would be a good example of the Open Source method.
Perhaps you might learn something...

Marcin, from your choice of words I draw the conclusion that you are still
a very young man. Don't worry, that shortcoming will usually mend itself
as the years go by. Until then, I will let you in on a few little secrets:

- Choose your words with care, since they might come back and bite you.
- To be successful, first do your homework.
- It is much faster to learn from the mistakes and successes of others than
having to do all of the mistakes yourself.
- If you have an idea that you think is great; implement it and let the world
be the judge of its merits. Good ideas will live on, bad ones will not.
- If you want to improve something; give credit to the ones that went before you.

So if you have an idea for a radically improved module system, then you are
very welcome to build it, either based on prior art, or build your _own_.
That goes for the rest of us, and you break the rules on your own risk.

Björn Ekwall <bj0rn@blox.se>