Re: Netscape buggy, kernel OK - some test results

Rafael Reilova (rreilova@ececs.uc.edu)
Sat, 23 Jan 1999 19:47:02 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 23 Jan 1999, Stanislav Meduna wrote:

> > I'll try to polish my hack a bit - seems like
> > it can help more people.
>
> Those who have problem with freezing netscape,
> please try the following code. If it helps, we
> are sure that the kernel is not the problem.

This hack works perfectly, thanks a lot! So far zero hangs. Pages seem
to also download with less stalling (esp. connections to MS-IIS). In case
anyone is using the libc5 version of netscape make sure to change the line
below:

{
int i;

- dlhdl = dlopen("/lib/libc.so.6", RTLD_NOW);
+ dlhdl = dlopen("/lib/libc.so.5", RTLD_NOW);

if (! dlhdl)
exit(99);

and also to link against libdl.so.1, use

ld -shared -o libnspipepatch.so /lib/libdl.so.1 nspipepatch.o

Otherwise, you'll get an instant segfault :-0

Cheers,

Rafael