Re: problems with looped extended partitions

Alex Miller (asm@som.kiev.ua)
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 00:53:41 +0200 (EET)

On Sat, 23 Jan 1999, Guest section DW wrote:

> In file genhd.c at line 205 is eternal loop, which produce potential
> problems when we have record in partition table, pointed at yourself. In this
> case kernel hangs while booting.
> All this work in stable and development kernels, and seems to be in
> long awaited 2.2.0. :(
>
> Yes. Did you encounter this in real life?

Of course, it was result of trojan software, which one of users runs on
his computer. I make patch, may be not so nice, but it worked.

> Of course a fix would be trivial. Say

Thanks!

But I think linux kernel must do _not_ hangs while booting in any
cases, ain't? btw - from DOS, OS/2, NT4 and Linux only NT don't catched
this trap.

--
Alex Miller
asmm@usa.net