Re: That whole Netscape problem...

Ed Cogburn (ecogburn@greene.xtn.net)
Sat, 23 Jan 1999 15:20:47 -0500

doctor@fruitbat.org wrote:

> Ed Cogburn said ...
> > doctor@fruitbat.org wrote:
> > > Ely Wilson said ...

> > > I find it interesting that many people have this problem with Netscape.
> > > I've been running 4.51 for around 4 months (under 2.0.x) and never had it
> > > hang or die. With previous releases of Netscape there was some
> > First, where did you get the 4.51 version? I couldn't find it on
> > ftp.netscape.com for linux. 4.5 is the only binary available for
> > linux boxes.
>
> My mistake. It's 4.5, not 4.51 (sorry for the misinformation).
>
> > Second, how do you use NS? 80% browsing, or 80%
> > email/newsgroups? Do you use multiple browser windows, or just
> > one? From other discussions on other mailing lists, its *how* you
> > use NS that has a lot to do with its stability.
>
> Lets see... I typically have two or three windows open, one or two for
> browsing, one for news (though lately I've been going back to using Tin).
> I don't read my mail through netscape. I use elm. I'm not impressed
> with any of the graphic mail readers available, let alone Netscape mail
> reader. The same argument applies to news readers, so I guess recently
> it's only been browsing. But in the past it's been all three. As for
> the types of pages, I visit, they vary from straight HTML (text only) to
> sites heavy on the java. It's a pretty good mix. My disk and memory
> caches are 5Mb each, and I know I exceed that limit at least once a day.

It depends a lot on what you do with it. I can't remember the
last time the browser component ever failed on me, but I had the
email/news component hang on me yesterday. I'm in the 80%
email/news and 20% browser category.
If it were stable, I'd actually like the email/news component of
NS, but alas, its far from stable, at least on my system. I know
of no substitute, either.

--
Ed C.