Re: crash in vesafb?

Arvind Sankar (arvinds@mit.edu)
Sat, 23 Jan 1999 14:42:38 -0500

On Sat, Jan 23, 1999 at 11:54:41AM +0100, Gerd Knorr wrote:
> For panning the VESA BIOS callbacks are used. Might be some bug in your BIOS.
>
> >Jan 22 23:33:35 anjala kernel: fb0: VESA VGA frame buffer device
> >Jan 22 23:33:35 anjala kernel: fb1: ATY Mach64 frame buffer device on PCI
>
> >I have the Mach64 driver still compiled in, though I don't use it.
>
> But it (seems to) initialize the hardware. Maybe this confuses the BIOS.
> Try "video=atyfb:off" if you don't want to use atyfb.

ok, maybe the interaction was going the other way: I turned off vesa instead,
and atyfb works fine now. Only problem is that it starts up by default in
640x480 mode.

How does one switch modes properly at run time? I tried fbset, but that blanked
my screen. I have to switch modes _and_ tell the console driver or somebody that
it can change LINES & COLS or whatever it calls them, right?

I finally ended up editing atyfb.c and redefining default_var to be 1024x768. But
this is not The Right Way (tm).

-- arvind