Re: klogd

Arvind Sankar (arvinds@mit.edu)
Sat, 23 Jan 1999 12:24:29 -0500

On Sat, Jan 23, 1999 at 12:16:39PM -0500, Vijay G. Bharadwaj wrote:
> Kernels since 2.1.something_so_long_ago_I_don't_remember_it_now have
> needed a new klogd. The reason is that one of the 2.1.x kernels somehow
> break the seeking of /dev/kmem, so klogd is supposed to use the (cleaner)
> /proc interface. sysklogd since 1.3-25 (or was it 26?) implements this.
>
> Another reason to get a new klogd was that the old klogd would die during
> the boot process on some machines due to a % character in the boot
> messages. ("PCI BIOS not 100% compliant" or something like that, if my
> memory serves me right. I don't really remember and I am by no means an
> expert on PC hardware, so I don't know if that message makes sense.) This
> was also fixed in the release I mentioned above.

I have sysklogd-1.3-26 (that's what the rpm says, though klogd -v says 1.3-3).
It works fine with 2.1.132, but I upgraded a couple of days back to 2.2.0pre9
and now it keeps complaining at boot time. If it is using /proc/kmsg, why the
heck does it seek /dev/kmem? And why can't it find my System.map? It is in
exactly the same place as the 2.1.132 System.map used to be (/usr/src/linux).
My modules are in a nice place, too: /lib/modules/2.2.0-final.

-- arvind