Re: devfs patch v86 available

Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
Sat, 23 Jan 1999 12:34:21 +1100

> On Sat, 23 Jan 1999, Richard Gooch wrote:
> > >
> > > Would it be possible to sync your patch with the current linux
> > > RAID0145 kernel patch?
> > >
> > > Devfs + linux raid would be very handy.
> >
> > I can only produce patches against the official kernels. To do
> > anything else is a maintenance nightmare. What is needed is someone
> > with the time and interest to produce patches against the current RAID
> > patch. Anyone willing to do that should contact me so we can
> > co-ordinate. I'm also willing to carry devfs patches for
> > official-kernel+raid patches on my ftp site, so there can be a
> > centralised repository. Or I can add a URL on my WWW page. Whatever.
>
> I have the time, the itch and the web space, but probably not the
> expertise (1.5 years of C at Uni 2 years ago).
>
> what does adding support for /dev/md0 involve? hunting down
> numbers in include files, IFDEF'ing, i could handle. kernel
> coding is way beyond me.

It shouldn't be that hard. Read the part of the devfs patch that
touches drivers/block/md.c and understand what it's trying to do. Then
apply the whole devfs patch to a linus+RAID kernel and manually apply
the failed hunks (taking account of the difference structure of the
RAID code).

Regards,

Richard....