Re: PCMCIA and Network problems...

Steve Dodd (dirk@loth.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 16:23:00 +0000

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 21, 1999 at 06:36:29PM +0000, Riley Williams wrote:

> Anyway, under Win95, I can power the machine down and start it up
> again, and the network will continue to work after doing so, but under
> Linux, I have to take the whole PCMCIA system down and up again to get
> it to work, although everything else works fine...

Hmm.. On my laptop the pcmcia stuff gets signalled on suspend & resume to
deal with this sort of thing. I think it is cardmgr's job to do this, all
the subsystem scripts in /etc/pcmcia have 'suspend' and 'resume' options
passed to them. I'm using 3.0.3.

I've just looked at my log files:

Jan 17 11:02:55 falstaff cardmgr[92]: executing: './network suspend eth0'
Jan 17 11:02:55 falstaff cardmgr[92]: executing: './serial suspend ttyS1'
Jan 17 11:02:55 falstaff cardmgr[92]: executing: './network resume eth0'
Jan 17 11:02:56 falstaff cardmgr[92]: executing: './serial resume ttyS1'

So it seems it does suspend then resume together, after the machine wakes
up - fair enough I suppose, there wouldn't be time to do a suspend as the
machine was going to sleep.

As to why your machine isn't doing this.. Pass. Do you have appropriate APM
stuff switched in in your kernel config? I also wonder if init is involved
in passing signals to cardmgr when this happens - maybe an init version
problem? (I use sysvinit-2.62). There seems to be a section in the PCMCIA-
HOWTO about APM &c.

Sorry this isn't more helpful :(

S.

--