Re: -fno-strength-reduce

Henrik Olsen (henrik@iaeste.dk)
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 19:02:08 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 22 Jan 1999, Matti Aarnio wrote:
> > From: Arvind Sankar <arvinds@mit.edu>
> > Why is this option given to the compiler?
>
> Tradition.
>
> At some platforms (all?) at least earlier versions of GCC did
> produce bogus code if -O(2)'s default '-fstrength-reduce' mode
> was left on.
>
> When that bug finally got fixed (has it been fixed?), I don't
> know.

It was fixed with GCC 2.7.2.3, but it's still in because only one person
actually bothered to make a speed comparison and post the result to the
list, this comparison showed that any gain from dropping the option is too
small to be measurable, end ends up in the noice.
As a result, Linus didn't think removing it was worth the bother.

--
Henrik Olsen,  Dawn Solutions I/S
URL=http://www.iaeste.dk/~henrik/