Re: *** draft 4 - press release ***

Fri, 22 Jan 1999 15:19:28 +0000

Arvind Sankar wrote:
> What's a useful user interface? For real work, I always use text mode
> anyway: a lot easier on my eyes. I just don't have the patience to set
> resources for all the apps I use to make them use bigger type size.

I use mostly xterm, Emacs and netscape, so there's not much I need to
configure :-)

Like text mode, but with colour (Emacs) and the ability to fire up the
occasional PDF viewer and web page. Quite handy.

I do have the colours all arranged to resemble text mode: grey on black,
bold using white on black instead of a font change. The font I use is
9x15bold for most things. A great font on CRTs, especially in grey75 on
black.

I'm sure that's the principal reason so many prefer text mode to X --
the colours and fonts are so "windowy" and not at all suited to the CRTs
they're displayed on.

-- Jamie