Re: [Patch available] SCSI-Idle for 2.2.0

Daniel Kobras (zxmfj03@fphp16.tphys.physik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 15:00:38 +0100 (MET)

On Thu, 21 Jan 1999 at 17:25:11 +0100, Sylvain Pion wrote:

> For 2.3.x, when stats per devices will be available, I might come up with a
> smaller patch (namely, the idle time counting will be doable in user space,
> hopefully). Then the only remaining thing in the kernel would be the spin up
> code.

Not exactly. Look at Pavel Machek's changes included in the latest bdflush
release (V1.6, IIRC). This way, spin down/spin up can well be handled in
user space, using SCSI_IOCTL_{START,STOP}_UNIT in either a seperate
utility or maybe a patch to hdparm. The only thing really missing as of
now is a facility reporting per-drive stats (or idle time alternatively).

Daniel.