Re: Netscape broken with 2.2.0-pre7

Jamie Lokier (jamie@imbolc.ucc.ie)
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 12:06:46 +0000

On Wed, Jan 20, 1999 at 12:20:26AM -0500, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
> He certainly does cover setjmp, but I don't believe he covers sigsetjmp.
> (my book is elsewhere) Perhaps it is a recent invention?

sigsetjmp saves the signal mask in addition to what setjmp does, that's
all. So it can be written in terms of setjmp and sig* if necessary. In
some cases, it's not even necessary to do this so plain setjmp will do.

The Linux man page indicates sigsetjmp is a POSIX thing.

> Your solution is a bit better, but still very gross. There is no good
> reason why a programmer should have to deal with such problems.

You seem to be suggesting that this stuff live in kernel space, which
isn't strictly necessary. Alternatively that it go in a library, in
which case, the kernel mechanisms are adequate already :-)

Not that I think select+signals is all that wonderful either.

-- Jamie