Re: kernel 2.2.0 press release draft 6 -- minor critique

Jakub Jelinek (jj@sunsite.ms.mff.cuni.cz)
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 12:01:37 +0100 (CET)

> Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 19:03:26 -0800
> From: dmerritt@sabi.Eng.Sun.COM (Doug Merritt [TEMP])
>
> I think this is confusing; in a sentence about SMP, I expect to
> hear how many processors are supported...is that 64 now? I'd
> thought it was 16, actually (and had wondered which cpu/mboard
> allows more than 4).
>
> It supports 32 cpus on Sunfire systems and 64 cpus on Starfire
> systems... I believe the company you work for makes these machines :-)

To be correct, 30 cpus on Sunfire only, as that's the hw limit.
You cannot run without any IO boards AFAIK (and Linux wouldn't boot without
finding PCI or SBUS anyway) :)

Cheers,
Jakub
Jakub Jelinek | jj@sunsite.mff.cuni.cz | http://sunsite.mff.cuni.cz
Administrator of SunSITE Czech Republic, MFF, Charles University