Re: Linux Kernel constraints!

brent verner (damonbrent@earthlink.net)
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 01:06:08 -0500

hey, let's be serious here.
Linux works...and works...and works...ad infinitum(?)
In my opinion, it has the best minds from all around
the world making contributions to its development.
It works and will continue to work better. _i_ believe
that if we counted 'limitations' of every kernel/system
out here, linux would be among the ones having the least
'limitations' -- if not the one with the least. if you
cite 'limitation X' as making a system unsuitable for
'task Y', then all you have to do is change strategically
redifine 'X' to ensure that _your_ favorite system is
_always_ the most suitable for 'task Y'. i know linux to
be a very stable system and i think that the attribute of
stability makes a system suitable for the task of computing
aside from any 'limitation/attribute X' viewpoints (period)

brent ificanreplaceonemoreNTboxwithlinuxi'llbehappy verner

Yogesh Bansal wrote:

> Recently(dec.) in WindowsNT magazine comparisons/similarities between
> various flavours of unix and nt had come. In the same article Linux was
> ignored as enterprise os on account of following kernel 'limitations' :
>
> 1. kernel is not preemptive. ie even a higher priority user thread cant
> cause another thread to be swapped if the other thread is presently running
> in privileged/kernel context.
> 2. kernel is not reentrant. ie.only one thread in kernel context at a time.
> 3. kernel is not multi processing in the sense that on multiprocessor
> systems it will run on only one cpu at a time.
>
> will somebody can clarify these doubts and version which enabled it to be
> otherwise.
> yogi
>
> -

\  _|_  /   GNU