Re: Adding checkpointing API to Linux kernel

Zygo Blaxell (uixjjji1@umail.furryterror.org)
21 Jan 1999 23:14:12 -0500

In article <36A75DB9.FBF06CDB@ata-sd.com>,
Steven Roberts <strobert@ata-sd.com> wrote:
>speaking of ioctl's, are there any good spots to find documentaion of
>all
>of the ioctl's. sometimes I have found them in the driver src, somtimes
>man
>pages, sometimes doc directory in the general tree, etc...
>
>Just wondering if there is any available documentation about them in a
>standard location.

Since the ioctl()'s are implemented all over the place (in the driver,
in a 3rd-party module, etc...), the documentation is similarly fragmented.

It might be a good idea to document all of the ioctl()'s that are implemented
somewhere in the standard kernel in a documentation repository included in
the kernel source.

The only difficulty with the latter idea that I know of is that some of the
documentation work will overlap with the standard man pages packages and in
some ways greatly overlap with the C libraries. AFAIK this is fairly minor.

--
Zygo Blaxell                         (with a name like that, who needs a nick?)
Linux Engineer                          (my favorite official job title so far)