Re: User vs. Kernel (was: To be smug, or not to be smug, that is the

Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 12:36:03 -0500 (EST)

Steven Roberts writes:

> I personally like blocking system calls. They fit in far better
> for the application model I use. We have multiple threads,
> and it is easier to block. We in fact don't use the non blocking
> I/O calls in win32 because it is easier for us at least to use
> blocking ones. Yes, async IO can be nice for certain things, but
> saying blocking system calls are a bad idea is crap.

Don't tell me you _like_ interrupted system calls...

Threads change everything. How would you like a new thread
whenever a signal arrives? That could be an alternate fix.

>> If someone with great vision and design skills wants to create a
>> new API for Linux, we should seriously consider such a proposal.

> I think this kind of boils down to user vs. kernel API issues.
> why not great this all new wonderful API set in a user space lib?

Ha, ha, ha. NO.

As a prototype, maybe. It would be an extraordinary kludge.
It would have all the crappyness of user-space threads and worse.

> I really like that the
> kernel API in linux is small compared to the kernel API in win32. I
> quite a bit about the win32 API, but the most important thing I know, is
> that it is a big ugly mess, and I don't think linux should head in that
> direction.

No, the native NT kernel API is very simple. (it is not Win32)

> I still like the old principle, of if you can do it in user space, then
> do it in user space.

How about "do it in the best place" instead? Often that place is
a library, but don't get religious about it.

In this case, the kernel API itself could use some adjustments.
Emulating that in userspace is a sick joke.