Re: *** Draft 6 - Press Release ***

Henrik Olsen (henrik@iaeste.dk)
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 12:49:01 +0000 ( )

On Wed, 20 Jan 1999, Simon Kenyon wrote:
> On 20-Jan-99 Mick Haigh wrote:
> > * Already legendary Linux performance is significantly enhanced. High end
> > SMP support scales well, supporting up to 64-bit processor systems. In
> > addition to this, Linux offers a revolutionary new system, called Beowulf
> > <http://www.beowulf.org>, which allows for multiple computer systems to
> > be used as though they were one single machine.
>
> revolutionary new - i think not
> microsoft call it wolfpack
> dec call it clusters
>
> the term is "single system image"
> --
> simon
It's MSSpeak to call something that's several years old "revolutionary
new".

<simplification warning on>
You'll get severely burned if you try to compare WolfPack with Beowulf,
they have totally different purposes, and definitely don't do the same.

The MS WolfPack/Novell WolfMountain thing is not something we really
support well at the moment, it's the ability of one machine to take over a
process/ressource from another and continue working as if nothing
happened.
In Linux terms, this is what the checkpointing API and Linux-HA is about.

Beowulf is a machine architechture for sharing computing power, or disc
bandwidth or whatever to make something that looks like a much faster
machine and is something Linux supports very well indeed.

<simplification warning off>

You shouldn't confuse the two things, since that would make for extremely
good targets for factual attacks by MS, instead of just FUD.

--
Henrik Olsen,  Dawn Solutions I/S
URL=http://www.iaeste.dk/~henrik/